Friday, December 15, 2006

a moment of clarity

Mm. Ok.
So in all this chaos of moving and trying to start afresh in county house, I was feeling really bummed out tonight because I've not done any 'school' work so I started reading on my dear friend Kenneth Burke and realized something. I totally could have used his dramatist theory to write my thesis.
How could I have missed this?

Conversation I'm having in my head with tired me and school me.
Tired me: Ok so here's the deal, Burke felt that we are symbol using creatures, right?

School me: Right.

Tired me: So like, he also had this theory about the study of rhetoric. That if we used rhetoric we could ultimately understand human behavior. Why we do what we do.

School me: What we do, what we do. Yup, that's correct.

Tired me: So he thought that we really were like performing on a stage. That's the whole idea behind the pentad. Its like this drama thing.

School me: Everybody plays the fool. No exception to the rule.

Tired me: So, what I could have looked at with my thesis, instead of the whole terministic screen thing (that I don't think I used in the way I should have, or could have done it differently), but anyways, what I could look at how relationships amongst audiences are created to divide the audiences.

School me: Your pretty smart.

Tired me: Well, no, see I was feeling guilty for not having read anything 'school' related and just reading blogs and stuff. So I forced myself to look at some Kenneth Burke articles. I've also found that not many people have looked at

School me: Maybe you should go to school

Tired me: Maybe sleep deprivation is the key.

School me: Lets go to bed.

Tired me: Agreed.

No comments: