Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Modest dressing

This post from Tree of Knowledge made me think about the changes in style/dress I've gone through. Now, I went to private school K-12 which meant I wore The Uniform. Plaid skirt, peter pan color white shirt, white socks (knee-hi in K-4), brown shoes, no fancy hair/make up/jewlery. I didn't mind it that much because its just something I always did, however when I went to college I went from one extreme to the other.

Freshman: tight fitting, tried hard to wear what was 'in' on a K-mart budget this was very hard and it meant that I usually just looked like I was trying to hard on a K-mart budget.

Sophomore: didn't give a frrrrruck. sweats, sandals w/ socks, jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes. I really didn't care, but sometimes I still liked to dress up and look a little 'girly'.

Junior: MODEST to the nth degree. went through a bit of a stage where i didn't want to show anyone anything. long skirts, long sleeve shirts, loose pants, etc.

Senior: Modestly modest. what does that mean? I continued with my modest dress but dried to look more stylish and less like a gray blob (all my clothes were gray or black or brown).

Grad School Year one: Modest, w/out the caring of being stylish

Grad School Year two: too busy trying to figure out my thesis, didn't care what I wore. The first new outfit I bought I got for my thesis defense. Ha! And it was all black.

As w/ lots in my life I tend to move in extremes, from one side to the other first all the way over here, then all the way over there. Now, I kinda have to look 'decent' because of where I work, but I don't think I'll ever go back to the pre-modesty stage (not unless I become one of those moms who wears the real hip clothes to her kids school functions, doubt it though). I think the more aware and comfortable with my body I became, the more I felt like I didn't have to show it to anyone. Its mine, and I respect it this way. Thats not to say that there is anything wrong if you like wearing short skirts or shorts, or whatever, but this is just where I am most comfortable. Sometimes DH says I dress too old, or blah, but it has taken me years to be able to get to the this point of dressing and being able to say, I don't give a fuzzy rats ass what anyone else wears, this is what I like.

So, if I want to wear a white-t fresh from the white-t man, or a Polo shirt, I rock what I wanna rock.

Nuff said.

No comments: