Sunday, November 12, 2006

Run on for a long time...

I'm really into Johnny Cash now. I've been listening to his cds for the past 1 or 2 years. DH and I got reintroduced to him through Elvis. We watched a special on Elvis a couple of years ago and then became really into his music. I think I just passed him off as 'Elvis' not really understanding the impact he made to the music world. I know that I used to be pretty biased when it came to music from that time period just because I'd always been told that Elvis 'stole' music from black folks and pawned it off as his own creation. Now, while I don't know if he did that intentionally or not, what I do know is that there were probable black folks who were doing that kind of music but didn't get the same amount of attention or play because they were black folk.

Now back to Cash. There's just something about his music that takes me back to being a child and listening and watching my Pa-Pa when he would listen to the radio or his CB 'talkie' as we called it. My Pa-Pa was a truck driver and always had a CB radio in his trucks. I would beg him to let me sit in the truck with him, I'd climb up on the leather sits, feet not touching the floorboards decorated with Yosemite Sam. Then I'd wait patiently for him to tune into a station and start talking. This was probably my first introduction to a language other than English. I would get him to talk and then translate to me what the others were saying. Some of the conversations were probably not at all appropriate for me, but when he would tell me how the truckers would be looking around for a place to eat, or talking to one another about the weather or traffic. I loved listening, it was like they had their own little world and with that their own way of communicating. The thing I really enjoyed was the secrecy that surrounded the language because no one else knew how to speak this except my Pa-Pa and the voices that came out of that box.

I found this website that has some CD slang.

This wooly bear is gonna truck it easy on down to the county house, got work to do 10-17there today. Hoping that the 10-17 down there goes well.

10-10.

No comments: