Friday, February 8, 2008

remembering pencil shavings

I am struggling to remember something good today. Its hard. I've got back/side pain, books to read that I have 0 interest in, folks who I feel are slighting/ignoring me in the public sphere, and I really want to go home because its going to be like 66 there this weekend... and i just watched a couple pack up there car with suitcases and snacks....and lets just say i'm tempte to wake DH up and make him to the same....but i digress....

struggling to remember....we're cleaning up our spare bedroom/office/gym to try to make better use of the space. i decided it was time to clean the pencil sharper. i opened it and started dumping the shavings out into a trashbag. the smell took me back to elementary school. i remember loving to be the one who emptied the old mechanical pencil sharpeners...and looking back on it I think, i'm pretty sure, it was because of the smell. pencil shavings smell like fresh penicls, this mix of wood, and lead, and they make me feel productive. If your using your pencil a lot, you have to sharpen it, more work, more shavings.

No comments: