Thursday, November 9, 2006

68.2

I am still very angry. We contacted the police in the county and they told us that things like that hardly ever happen in that area. That doesn't make me feel any better. And I know that this could happen anywhere and it does, but that don't mean very much until it does happen to you.

I also found out that my uncle believes the folks who approached him live in that neighborhood, what a welcome wagon introduction. How am I supposed to feel comfortable now. I do worry and thats something I've never felt before about a place where I live. I've felt uncomfortable in certain neighborhoods, but never fear.

And I also know that I shouldn't let someone have control over me like that, but I can't help it. There is so much on me right now, I don't feel like I have a choice, I'm scared and I'm angry.

I should be reading papers right now, but instead I've been doing some research on hate crimes. According to the Stats provided by the government, in 2005 there were 4,691 hate crimes that were reported as being racially motivated, of those, 68.2% were anti-Black.

As much as I want to say that things are good, better, whatever, I just feel so stiffled and filled-up right now. I want to believe that we as a country our headed in a positive direction, but with numbers like this, I don't know. What's the problem? What's the solution?

The problem is so large and the solution, I don't even know where we'd start until we can truly define the problem and how we got here. But you got too many folks now days who don't want to acknowledge the past, who think that because we are 'free' we should be thankful and just move on about our lives. That's a good part of the problem right there.

According to these stats, in 2005 VA had 295 hate crimes reported.

Where am I gonna raise my daughter?

I guess the question isn't so much where, as it should be how will I raise her, because by the looks of things this kind of ish is happening everywhere.

I just don't feel safe or comfortable.

No comments: