Saturday, March 10, 2007

family clap.

I know it sounds corny and hoaky (is that even a word?), but my family used to do this thing, a family clap. Say for instance, someone found out they did well in school, or got a raise, we'd all clap for that person and kinda holla a bit to show our support. Then, after that person got a clap, another person would want some attention and family love too and so they'd throw something out. Here's an example:

Cousin 1: I got a 100 on my math exam today.
Family: Way to go! Yahoooooo! *claps widely*

*another cousin, thinking about something that would warrant a clap, voices: I ate oat bran cereal today, instead of sugary coco puffs!

Family: Yahooo! *claps even louder*

We really hadn't done any family claps since my gma passed, almost 9 months ago now. I think mainly because we all kinda avoid hanging out together, its something about being together that reminds you that person is not there. But its a catch 22 because we do actually like being together. Our family's version of a fun weekend was clammering over to my gma's house, sprawled on her bed, her floor, around her dresser, telling stories, laughing at the TV and just enjoying one another, and then having the family clap.

But tonight, the clap returned. We were all in my mom's house, cousins, aunty, bro, DH, babe, erbody who was normally together and my cousin announced something, about his electrician work, and we broke out into a random family clap. At the moment, I can't even remember what about, but I just know we clapped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hoaky is a word

and maybe your family does the clap without you?